Monday, November 7, 2011

The trail was following along the side of a road that seemed to be frequented only by tractors. As we came around a corner I noticed a creature lying on the side of the road. It became apparent (in the slow way that all things do while walking) that the creature was a dog, a Jack Russell Terror my by guess. There were no houses nearby, nothing but bushes, a very odd place for a dog to decide to nap. Just as I was beginning to hypothesize (again, slowly) the dog's ears perked up and it moved into a crouch, head low, preparing to attack. I stopped in my tracks but it was too late. The dog sprinted at me so quickly that I had no time to react more than by throwing my hands up. As it leaped for my waist the potential future generations flashed before my eyes. When no pain came I looked down to find the dog hugging my leg. I've never seen a dog hug before, but that's exactly what it was doing. It was staring up at me,  its little dog arms just embracing my knee. When I tried to shed it and leave it behind he attached himself firmly to my ankle with his dexterous little paws and I had to haul him down the street, step by step. Pictures to come, as always.

2 comments:

  1. What a remarkable story. In one paragraph, I was transported through such a wide range of emotions! I'm glad you were not attacked by a wild dog. Such a heartwarming ending. :) I guess he turned out to be not so much of a Jack Russell "Terror" after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude,
    did you keep it? its probably saint jack come to see you safely on your way!

    ReplyDelete